Sunday 6 March 2016

MOTHERING SUNDAY // an ode to my mum

Mum + I
Without my mum I wouldn’t be where I am today. I often don’t write long blog posts because I feel I cannot type coherently enough or make it enjoyable for others to read, however today, which is Mothering Sunday, I am going to tell you one of the many reasons why my mum is amazing.

My first real experiences of writing for an audience were writing essays in GCSE English at school. Ideas would spill out fragmented, incoherent, hurried and later reorganised into flowing paragraphs. The finished product exuded intelligence and understanding, whilst lacking unnecessary repetition or bias. I would be lying if I took all the credit though. My mum is the star of the show, as she is the one who coached me through the learning process of essay writing. She was the one who patiently coaxed out thoughts of mine, often adding her own, and transformed them into an essay worthy of an A+ (indeed I/she occasionally received A++s). An underestimated philosopher and critic, Mum’s tried and tested structure for writing, no matter how long or short the piece, was simply to adhere to the following rules:
  1. You say what you are going to say
  2. You say it
  3. You say what you have just said
You can write your paragraphs in whichever order you choose; it is in fact much easier to write your introductory paragraph at the end, having completed the rest of the essay previously. My mum taught me a great deal more about this subject than just these three points, but this is what I took away with me when I was 16. Now 12 years later, I consciously employ this methodology whenever I have to write for an audience.

So there you have it. Without the extensive help I had from my mum I may not have got into the University I wanted to go to, nor would I have written such a decent dissertation, created such cracking job applications or had the confidence to start this blog. So without further ado, I wish to leave this short essay here on the internet as a proclamation of one of the hundreds of reasons why my Mum is bloody fabulous.

I love you mum, thank you xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...