Wednesday 2 July 2014

BEYOND GRAINLESS: PART 3 - LIVING AS A CAVEWOMEN (IN NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE)

Read: Part 1, Part 2

On 28 July 2014 I will start my 21 day sponsored challenge to live as a modern cave-woman. My aim is to raise £150 for Crohn's and Colitis UK - please visit my JustGiving page for more information.

I will follow 'The Primal Blueprint' guidelines as outlined here. However, as the rules were written by a resident of Malibu in California, I feel that they need adapting ever so slightly to work in Newcastle, England ;-)

Remember the 'Eat Well Plate' a.k.a the current governmental guidance on what should make up a healthy diet? Well this the pyramid I'll be following from 28 July.
Just a wee bit different eh?

Here are the rules plus my adaptations:

  1. Eat real food. a.k.a no ready meals, takeaways etc.
  2. Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes.
  3. Align your carbohydrate intake with your weight goals and activity levels. Around 100g a day.
  4. Move frequently at a slow pace: Get between 2-5 hours per week of moderate aerobic exercise. I'm going to aim for 10,000 steps a day.
  5. Lift heavy things: Conduct 1-3 brief, intense sessions of full-body functional movements.
  6. Sprint: Go “all out” once a week.
  7. Get 8 hours of sleep every night.
  8. Get 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day. Have to laugh here. Where possible!
  9. Play! Find time to let go, disconnect, unwind and have fun each day. Frisbee anyone?!
I will also:

- aim to eat only seasonal vegetables and fruit, preferably from market stalls;
- only eat locally sourced meat and eggs;
- not drink beer (normally my tipple of choice!), spirits, cocktails, white wine or soft drinks;
- only use natural cosmetics, soaps and deodorant.

Here is what I will not eat:


I think that's about it! Some people think I'm mad, but I'm feeling positive. The biggest challenges will be:
  1. resisting my favourite beer in the pub;
  2. eating out;
  3. not having my usual after dinner sweet treat;
  4. not driving my boyfriend, friends and family completely mad.
The creator of the challenge suggests keeping a journal. I will write blog posts outlining my progress running up to the event and during, particularly where I shop and what I eat out.

Stay tuned..!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...