Simply Cooked, after doing my usual Pinterest search of two random ingredients I want to fit together. This time they were broccoli and cornbread mix, which to be honest I didn't have much hope of finding.
Luckily I came across this one. Weird, but it works, and I imagine it's a great way of hiding vegetables in more appealing food for kids.
I adapted the recipe to make it gluten free and it worked very well!
Ingredients11 small broccoli florets, each smaller than a muffin cup
1 cup coarse whole grain cornmeal
1 cup gluten free flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/4 cup (310 ml) milk
1/4 cup (75 ml) vegetable oil
1/3 cup (40 g) grated strong cheese
- Blanch the broccoli florets for 3 minutes, then cool with cold water and dry well with a clean tea towel.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, turmeric, and chilli powder in a large bowl.
- Add the milk, egg, and oil and whisk well.
- Fold in the grated cheese.
- Put a large spoonful of batter in each of 11 muffin cups and then stand a broccoli floret in each.
- Use the remaining batter to cover the broccoli.
- Bake at 355 F (180 C) for 20 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for five minutes, then cool completely on a rack.
I love the way the turmeric makes them all golden and ombre.