Wednesday 22 January 2014

THE PIZZA ISSUE

So far I haven't been very impressed with gluten free pizza. Pizza Express ones are okay, a little on the biscuit side depending on which chef you get - my first one actually squeaked when I cut into it, and my knife-wielding hand got a proper workout. The second one was much improved, but there was still one problem...a problem which seems to translate across all the naked bases you find in supermarkets...

They are really kinda small.


The above photo is one I took of my Morrisons GF pizza base, which was 6 inches or there abouts. The normal pizza bases? 10 inches at least.

For the above one I had wanted to follow a recipe (this one) which involved cracking an egg into the centre. Sounds yummy right? Unfortunately this would have been impossible on this base, as the egg would have basically been the whole pizza.

Sigh.

Maybe I haven't looked around enough, or perhaps they just can't make gluten free bases bigger as they'd become too brittle? I'm just not convinced that's the issue. For one, I've tried a GF pizza from Prezzo which was 12 inches and delicious (please come to Newcastle!!). So perhaps it's a supermarket packing issue.

Apart from the egg thing I'm actually not too bothered about the DIY ones. I'm 5'3 and female so I probably shoudn't be eating much more than that in one sitting anyway...but it would be nice to have the option to eat more have leftovers. What if I was 6'3 and a baseball player and also GF? Would I eat two?

One solution could be to use a corn tortilla as a base, but it's just not the same as having a nice big pizza. Guess I'll just keep looking.

MISSION: INCONCLUSIVE, MUST KEEP SEARCHING

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...